Earl and Gladys Delong of Tiffin, Ohio, have created a $1 million unrestricted gift to The University of Findlay through a joint charitable gift annuity.
Earl, who graduated from Findlay College in 1948, appreciated the education he received as a returning World War II veteran. A native of Van Wert County, he served in the Air Force as a radio operator in Korea. After the war, he met and married Gladys, who had served as a nurse in the Navy.
He earned a bachelor of science degree in commerce and history, along with a teaching certificate. He was a co-founder of Clinton Heights Golf Course near Tiffin, Ohio, in 1956. Within a few years, he became sole owner and ran the golf course until he sold it in 2003.
Gladys had a career as a nurse, working at Mercy Hospital in Tiffin and Tiffin State Hospital. They raised two children: a daughter, who now lives in California, and a son, who is deceased. They also have two grandsons in California.
The DeLongs have been generous over the years in supporting building projects on The University of Findlay’s campus. Recently, they named the DeLong Creativity and Presentation Room in Old Main in 2012, and they contributed in 2013 to the renovation of the lobby of Egner Center for the Performing Arts, making possible new handicap-accessible restrooms.
In 2013, they also established the first Oiler Promise unrestricted endowed scholarship through The Findlay Fund, and they endowed a visiting executive lectureship for the College of Business.
“The University of Findlay is deeply appreciative of the ongoing generosity of Earl and Gladys DeLong and the impact they have made in improving educational opportunities for our students,” said President Katherine Fell.
- UF to Hold 2021 Spring Horse Sale
- Family Everywhere: Graduate Student Employee of the Year Makes Connections
- Symposium for Scholarship and Creativity ’21 Held Virtually
- COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics for Students, by Students
- Grateful for the Challenges: Dr. Judith Gay, Ph.D. ’71 Makes Amazing Strides in Education
- UF Students’ Art Displayed in Juried Exhibition