Marcia Sloan Latta, Ed.D., vice president for advancement at The University of Findlay, will be the baccalaureate speaker at 7 p.m. Friday, May 2, in the College First Church of God, as part of UF’s commencement weekend.
Nearly 700 degrees, including doctoral, master’s, bachelor’s and associate’s, will be awarded on Saturday, May 3. In the fall, the University awarded 196 degrees, and those alumni have been invited to walk in the May ceremony, as well.
Latta will draw from the Biblical verses of Second Peter, chapter 1, verses 5-8 for her remarks.
The baccalaureate service is a long-standing tradition for most private colleges and universities, particularly those that have historically had a religious affiliation. The tradition dates to the 15th century at the University of Oxford, England. While most baccalaureates today do not focus on a particular faith, they are a time to reflect on the meaning and responsibilities that come with the achievement of a formal education before the graduates embark on their chosen profession. They are a time for spiritual reflection and musical celebration.
Latta has spent more than 25 years in the advancement field, raising funds and working in alumni engagement for three universities, as well as several other non-profit causes. She is a frequent speaker throughout the country on board governance and development issues. Latta serves as a director on the boards of the Toledo Zoo, the F&M State Bank and the International Research Exchanges Board. She is a graduate of Bowling Green State University and resides with her family in Bowling Green.
- Religion Professor Publishes Monograph About Korean Philosopher Ham Sok Hon
- Findlay’s Environmental, Health, Safety & Sustainability Program Receives Reaccreditation
- UF Theatre Presents Free Online Improv Show Directed by Alumna
- UF Pharmacy Alumna Awarded a Department of Veterans Affairs Coin
- UF Earns Multiple Rankings in U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best National Universities
- It’s a Virtual “Celebration of Oiler Nation” for Homecoming Weekend 2020