Dr. Walter Brueggemann, an Old Testament scholar and influential theologian, will be speaking about “Fidelity Amid the Seductions of Certitude” at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 17 in Winebrenner Theological Seminary.
Brueggemann, an ordained minister in the United Church of Christ, is a William Marcellus McPheeters professor emeritus of Old Testament at Columbia University. He was a faculty member at Eden Theological Seminary from 1961 to 1986, and at Columbia Theological Seminary from 1986 to 2003.
He has authored more than 100 books and scholarly articles, in particular a rhetorical-critical examination of the Old Testament through the lenses of “testimony, dispute and advocacy.”
Brueggemann’s emphasis of particularly theologically significant words, coupled with his penchant for pairing literary and sociological modes when reading the Bible, has made him a popular speaker.
This free, public event is part of the DeBow and Catherine Moore Freed Contemporary Christian Lecture Series.
For more information on Brueggemann, visit his website at http://www.walterbrueggemann.com/ and watch him on YouTube.
- Columbus Dispatch Reporter to Discuss Changing Media Landscape
- UF Toys for Tots ’19 Drive to Begin Monday
- Business Alum’s Oiler 10 Experience Gives Her an Edge
- Author Details Personal Accounts of Israeli-Palestinian Conflict During Book Reading
- A Passion for Service on an International Scale
- Serving the Armed Forces with Animal Science