Dr. Walter Brueggemann, an Old Testament scholar and influential theologian, will be speaking about “Fidelity Amid the Seductions of Certitude” at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 17 in Winebrenner Theological Seminary.
Brueggemann, an ordained minister in the United Church of Christ, is a William Marcellus McPheeters professor emeritus of Old Testament at Columbia University. He was a faculty member at Eden Theological Seminary from 1961 to 1986, and at Columbia Theological Seminary from 1986 to 2003.
He has authored more than 100 books and scholarly articles, in particular a rhetorical-critical examination of the Old Testament through the lenses of “testimony, dispute and advocacy.”
Brueggemann’s emphasis of particularly theologically significant words, coupled with his penchant for pairing literary and sociological modes when reading the Bible, has made him a popular speaker.
This free, public event is part of the DeBow and Catherine Moore Freed Contemporary Christian Lecture Series.
For more information on Brueggemann, visit his website at http://www.walterbrueggemann.com/ and watch him on YouTube.
- Religion Professor Publishes Monograph About Korean Philosopher Ham Sok Hon
- Findlay’s Environmental, Health, Safety & Sustainability Program Receives Reaccreditation
- UF Theatre Presents Free Online Improv Show Directed by Alumna
- UF Pharmacy Alumna Awarded a Department of Veterans Affairs Coin
- UF Earns Multiple Rankings in U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best National Universities
- It’s a Virtual “Celebration of Oiler Nation” for Homecoming Weekend 2020