Dr. Walter Brueggemann, an Old Testament scholar and influential theologian, will be speaking about “Fidelity Amid the Seductions of Certitude” at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 17 in Winebrenner Theological Seminary.
Brueggemann, an ordained minister in the United Church of Christ, is a William Marcellus McPheeters professor emeritus of Old Testament at Columbia University. He was a faculty member at Eden Theological Seminary from 1961 to 1986, and at Columbia Theological Seminary from 1986 to 2003.
He has authored more than 100 books and scholarly articles, in particular a rhetorical-critical examination of the Old Testament through the lenses of “testimony, dispute and advocacy.”
Brueggemann’s emphasis of particularly theologically significant words, coupled with his penchant for pairing literary and sociological modes when reading the Bible, has made him a popular speaker.
This free, public event is part of the DeBow and Catherine Moore Freed Contemporary Christian Lecture Series.
For more information on Brueggemann, visit his website at http://www.walterbrueggemann.com/ and watch him on YouTube.
- UF Sets the Stage for 20th Annual Comedy Jam
- A Place Called Home: Findlay Alumna Succeeds Right Where She was Raised
- UF to Hold Virtual MLK, Jr. Celebration
- Online MS in Environmental, Safety, & Health Management Ranked Top 10 for 2021
- Brian D. Whitaker Receives Teaching Award for Food and Agricultural Sciences
- UF Welcomes ’21 Donnell Broadway Concert Series Guest Artist Matthew Hydzik