The University of Findlay Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble will come together for their annual spring concert at 3 p.m. Sunday, April 8, at Findlay High School’s Heminger Auditorium. The groups will present “And They’re Off … Overtures – Classic and New” featuring a variety of concert overtures.
The Wind Ensemble will perform a recent overture by Galante titled “Resplendent Glory,” along with the classic “Festive Overture” by Shostakovich. The Symphonic Band will perform the contemporary “Overture on an American Folk Tune” by Akey along with Von Suppe’s traditional “Poet and Peasant Overture.” The bands will collaborate for “Northwoods” by Robert W. Smith, followed by a concert finale performance of Tchaikovsky’s “1812 Overture.”
Courtney Bertsch, a senior pharmacy major from Columbus, will be the featured flute soloist, performing “Poem” by Griffes. Bertsch is a winner of the 2011-2012 Instrumental Music Concerto Competition at the University. During intermission, senior members of the bands will be recognized. The winners of the 2012-2013 Instrumental Music Concerto Competition and Endowed Scholarship Performance Competition will be introduced.
Tickets for the concert may be reserved by calling the UF Box Office at 419-434-5335. Tickets also are available at the door the day of the performance. General admission is $5. The price for students and senior citizens is $3. Admission is free for UF students, faculty and staff with I.D.
The mission of The University of Findlay music program is to promote the art of music in all its forms. UF students and the community at large are provided with opportunities for enhancing their musical appreciation through performance, listening activities and non-traditional venues.
- Memorial Service at UF to be Held in Remembrance of Former Board of Trustees Member
- UF Helping Hands Food Drive Collects More than 115,000 Pounds for Regional Residents in Need
- From Field Medic to Nursing Grad: Navy Veteran Uses Medical Experience to Earn BSN
- Holiday Choral Concerts to Showcase Latin Mass Adaptation of ‘Gloria’
- MLB Pitcher Jerry Blevins and Zoo Manager Sue Young to Present at Upcoming Fridays at Findlay Sessions
- From Campus to Combat: Former Student Makes Sacrifice