Symposium for Scholarship and Creativity Highlights Student Research & Achievements
Creative studies and impactful research on subjects ranging from music to pharmacology will be presented on Friday, April 8 during University of Findlay’s 2022 Symposium for Scholarship and Creativity (SSC).
This academic excellence event is a daylong celebration of student work from the past school year. The SSC, which is free and open to the public, will begin at 8:30 a.m. with the University’s six colleges hosting alumni speakers and offering awards at locations throughout campus. Short oral presentations will take place in a number of rooms in the Davis Street Building and the Center for Student Life and College of Business starting at 1 p.m. Poster presentations will be on display in Croy Gymnasium 3:30-5 p.m.
“The Symposium has been a day to celebrate student academic achievement for over 20 years,” said Darin Fields, Ph.D., vice president of academic affairs. “We devote the entire day to the sharing of student work with the entire UF community. It is a day filled with Oiler Pride as our students’ accomplishments shine brightly.”
Some of this year’s fascinating topics will include:
- The use of beta-adrenergic blocking agents – which block the release of stress hormones in reducing tremors by blocking nerve impulses to muscles.
- How the shift from in-person to online learning during the COVID-19 pandemic impacted pharmacy students’ self-perceived confidence, preparedness, satisfaction, and motivation.
- How music trends in Japan and the U.S. between 1970 and 2022 reflect societal changes of the world.
- The research and creative process behind the development of non-fictional picture books, featuring a student-authored and illustrated book, “Bearly Left.”
- An exploration of the text “Man-eaters” and how feminist works approach the topic of menstruation and oppression in a way that does not shy away from the taboo topic.
- The mindset of an innovator and how it can be put to use in one’s academic and professional career(s).
- What influences crime hotspots and strategies that can be used to prevent crime and create a safer environment in these areas.