On Wednesday, Nov. 6, The University of Findlay, with its dining service, Sodexo, participated in a 12-hour Helping Hands Food Drive and collected 55,211 pounds of food for Chopin Hall in Findlay. The University was attempting to break its 2012 record of 47,286 pounds of food collected as part of Sodexo’s nationwide event.
Findlay’s efforts were led by David Harr, director of dining services at the University. “I’d like to especially thank Great Scot Community Markets, Walmart, Campbell’s, Garner Trucking and the University for helping us reaching our goal.”
Findlay community members also contributed by dropping off donations of canned goods between 7:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. Wednesday.
In addition, Helping Hands’ “Fill the Fleet” was at Great Scot Community Market on Broad Avenue and at Findlay’s east side Walmart collecting donations. Findlay’s cheerleaders, dance team members and other student-athletes assisted at both Fill the Fleet locations.
In 2012, The University of Findlay, with support from the Findlay community, collected 47,286 pounds of food, and in 2011, collected 37,271 pounds of food. In 2010 and 2009, UF ranked first among college campuses nationwide for pounds of food collected. The University has participated in the event since 2006, and Helping Hands at The University of Findlay has collected and donated nearly 150,000 pounds of food to Chopin Hall.
To count toward the goal, all food items must be within the expiration dates and must not be damaged. Each donated item is recorded in a logbook and witnessed by community and University representatives. Only cans collected on Nov. 6 counted toward the effort.
For additional information on how you can support this event next year, contact David P. Harr, director of dining services, at 419-434-4542.
- Memorial Service at UF to be Held in Remembrance of Former Board of Trustees Member
- UF Helping Hands Food Drive Collects More than 115,000 Pounds for Regional Residents in Need
- From Field Medic to Nursing Grad: Navy Veteran Uses Medical Experience to Earn BSN
- Holiday Choral Concerts to Showcase Latin Mass Adaptation of ‘Gloria’
- MLB Pitcher Jerry Blevins and Zoo Manager Sue Young to Present at Upcoming Fridays at Findlay Sessions
- From Campus to Combat: Former Student Makes Sacrifice