On Wednesday, Nov. 6, The University of Findlay, with its dining service, Sodexo, will participate in Helping Hands Food Drive and attempt to break UF’s 2012 record of 47,286 pounds of food collected in a 12-hour period. The event is part of Sodexo’s nationwide food drive.
In addition, between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m., Helping Hands’ “Fill the Fleet” will be at Great Scot Community Market on Broad Avenue and at Findlay’s east side Walmart collecting donations. After the items have been counted and recorded, they will be donated to Chopin Hall in Findlay. UF’s Marching Oiler Brass will perform at Walmart from 5:15-6:30 p.m., and UF’s WLFC will broadcast live from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Findlay’s cheerleaders, dance team members and other student-athletes will be assisting at both Fill the Fleet locations.
In 2012, The University of Findlay, with support from the Findlay community, collected 47,286 pounds of food, and in 2011, collected 37,271 pounds of food. In 2010 and 2009, UF ranked first among college campuses nationwide for pounds of food collected. The University has participated in the event since 2006, and Helping Hands at The University of Findlay has collected and donated nearly 150,000 pounds of food to Chopin Hall.
To count toward the goal, all food items must be within the expiration dates and must not be damaged. Each donated item will be recorded in a logbook and witnessed by community and University representatives. Only cans collected on Nov. 6 will count toward the effort.
WFIN’s Phone Club will broadcast live from the AMU from 9-11 a.m.; WKXA will broadcast live 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.; and UF’s WLFC will broadcast live from 5-7 p.m. Derrick the Oiler will make appearances throughout the event.
For additional information on how you can support this event, contact David P. Harr, director of dining services, at 419-434-4542.
- University of Findlay Launches Master’s Degree Program Building Capacity For High-Quality STEAM Instruction Featuring Discovery Education’s Innovative Professional Development Content
- Tony Award-Winner Beth Leavel to Return to UF for Concert
- Win the Day: Alumnus Cherishes Lessons and Relationships Borne by Time at UF
- Forum on Regional Workforce Development Challenges Focuses on Educational Endeavors
- Thankful Thursday ’19: UF Giving Tuesday Collection Soars
- A Different Path: Nicole Gerten ’15 Pays it Forward