The University of Findlay’s Homecoming and Family Weekend 2014 will feature several public events ranging from speakers to musical performances.
Jeffrey Selingo, an author, columnist and speaker who has spent his journalism career covering the business of colleges and universities, will start the party at 3 p.m. Friday at Old Main’s Ritz Auditorium. The event is free. More information on Selingo can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/p8ylfjy
Also slated for Friday:
- The University’s equestrian farms, which include the James L. Child Jr. Equestrian Complex at 11178 Township Highway 201, and the Dr. C. Beckett Animal Sciences Building & Western Equestrian Farm at 147000 Ohio 68, will host open houses from 5-7 p.m. Friday. Take a tour and see why, for nearly 40 years, the University of Findlay has set the standard for equestrian program excellence.
- Will Champlin, with opening band Joe Neary and The Middle Ground, will perform Friday from 7-9:30 p.m. at the Koehler Fitness and Recreation Complex. Champlin, a Grammy Award-winning songwriter and versatile piano player, finished third on season five of NBC’s “The Voice.” Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 each and are available by calling the box office in the Alumni Memorial Union at (419) 434-4458. For more Champlin information, visit his Facebook page at http://www.willchamplin.com/.
- From 7-8:30 p.m. Friday, a reception for artist Bob Minto, a 1969 UF graduate, will be held in the Lea Gallery and Great Lape Hall in Virginia B. Gardner Fine Arts Pavilion. The Bluffton Icon in 2011 published a Q&A with Minto, which can be accessed at http://tinyurl.com/lkao2rz
Scheduled for Saturday:
- The University’s traditional homecoming 5k race is being replaced this year with Findlay’s second annual Susan G. Koman Northwest Ohio race. To register, visit http://www.komennwohio.org/ and click on “Register Today,” and then click on the 2014 Komen Northwest Ohio Race for the Cure – Findlay link. The downtown event will begin at 9 a.m.
- Watch The University of Findlay alumni compete against each other in a softball game at 11 a.m. at the Marathon Diamonds “Anderson Field” behind The Cube on North Main Street.
- The Oiler football team will take on Ashland University at 3 p.m. in Donnell Stadium. Distinguished alumni and other award recipients will be announced after the first quarter, and the coronation of homecoming king and queen will happen during halftime.
On Sunday, The Mazza Museum will host its first Funday Sunday of this academic year from 1:30-3:30 p.m. with the theme “Happy Birthday UF.” Activities, games, face painting, story time and more will be offered for all children and their families. More Funday Sunday information can be found on the museum’s website at http://tinyurl.com/ncvezwo