Brian Kennedy, president, director and CEO of the Toledo Museum of Art, will focus on image interpretation and use in his presentation titled “Do You Speak Visual?: The Importance of Visual Literacy” at 3:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 20, in the Mazza Museum’s Virginia B. Gardner Fine Arts Pavilion.
The public lecture is free.
Kennedy is multifaceted in his knowledge of the inner workings of a museum and in his understanding of the role a museum must play in the life of the greater community. Creating an inviting and comfortable place that is appealing to a broad and diverse public continues to identify Kennedy’s leadership style.
Kennedy is a native of Ireland who holds a doctoral degree in art and art history from University College in Dublin. During his past four years at the Toledo Museum of Art, he has developed and implemented a strategic plan that has included sustainability, diversified programming, notable acquisitions to the museum’s holdings and varied educational opportunities.
His collaborative approach is also exemplified by his involvement in the Toledo Symphony Orchestra, the Toledo Zoological Society, The University of Findlay, the University of Toledo and Bowling Green State University.
Prior to working in Toledo, Kennedy served as director at key museums in Ireland and Australia, and at the Dartmouth College’s Hood Museum of Art.
Kennedy’s Nov. 20 lecture is sponsored through the generosity of Mariann and Chuck Younger, Hilton Garden Inn, National Lime and Stone and Whirlpool Corporation. It is part of the University’s 2014-2015 Concert and Lecture Series.
- Religion Professor Publishes Monograph About Korean Philosopher Ham Sok Hon
- Findlay’s Environmental, Health, Safety & Sustainability Program Receives Reaccreditation
- UF Theatre Presents Free Online Improv Show Directed by Alumna
- UF Pharmacy Alumna Awarded a Department of Veterans Affairs Coin
- UF Earns Multiple Rankings in U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best National Universities
- It’s a Virtual “Celebration of Oiler Nation” for Homecoming Weekend 2020