On Wednesday, Nov. 7, The University of Findlay, with its dining service, Sodexo, will participate in Helping Hands Across America and attempt to break UF’s 2011 national record of 37,271 pounds of food collected in a 12-hour period. The event is part of Sodexo’s nationwide food drive.
The Findlay community is invited to drop off donations of canned goods at Henderson Dining Hall, located on Frazer Street, between 7:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. Also, between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m., Helping Hands’ “Fill the Fleet” will be at Findlay’s east side Walmart collecting donations. After the items have been counted and recorded, they will be donated to Chopin Hall in Findlay.
In 2010, The University of Findlay, with support from the Findlay community, ranked first among college campuses nationwide for pounds of food collected at 26,324 pounds. In 2009, 17,825 pounds were collected, and UF ranked first in the nation. Findlay finished third in 2008 by collected 12,641.79 of nonperishable food items. The University has participated in the event since 2006, and Helping Hands at The University of Findlay has collected and donated 101,599.82 pounds of food to Chopin Hall.
To count toward the goal, all food items must be within the expiration dates and must not be damaged. Each donated item will be recorded in a logbook and witnessed by community and University representatives. Only cans collected on Nov. 7 will count toward the effort.
UF’s chapter of Habitat for Humanity, Rotaract Club, Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE), Theta Chi and UFOSEA (UF Ohio Student Education Association) also are volunteering to assist collecting donations.
For additional information on how you can support this event, contact David P. Harr, director of dining services, at 419-434-4542.
- Marathon Process Improvement Expert Gene Fernandez Serving as UF’s Fall ’19 Dana Chair
- U.S. News & World Report Ranks UF Nationally for Academic Excellence and Student ‘Social Mobility’
- Greek Tale ‘Eurydice’ to be Staged During ’19 Homecoming and Family Weekend
- UF’s Black Student Union to Celebrate 50th Anniversary During Homecoming & Family Weekend
- Celebrating Culture: Alumnus and Director Robert E. Braylock Praises Differences
- Harry Melroy’s Intuitive Art Encourages Individual Storytelling