The University of Findlay is partnering with Girl Scouts of Western Ohio and Boy Scouts of America to offer scholarships to scouts who attain the highest level of service achievement.
A ceremony to launch the endeavor will be held in the office of UF President Katherine Fell, Ph.D., on Wednesday, April 26.
Girl Scouts who earn the Gold Award, and Boy Scouts who attain Eagle Scout status will receive a $1,000 scholarship, renewable for up to four years, when they are accepted to the University of Findlay as freshmen and meet academic criteria.
UF’s scout offerings will also include an annual career day in which scouts in middle school will visit UF to learn about college life and career opportunities.
“I believe that by partnering with the University of Findlay, girls will be motivated to achieve the Gold Award and to pursue higher education.” said Kelly Trame-Repka, director of development for Girl Scouts of Western Ohio.
Marc Kogan, scout executive for Boy Scouts of America Black Swamp Area Council, said he thinks the new program will help with retention in the Boy Scouts, an organization that prepares students for higher academics, if they wish, as well as for life.
Kogan said about four percent of those who join the regional Boy Scouts attain Eagle Scout status; the national average is about two percent.
Trame-Repka also credited University President Katherine Fell, Ph.D., for the partnership’s development.
“Dr. Fell realizes the importance of hard work and dedication it takes to earn the highest awards in scouting, and wanted to recognize those efforts,” she said.
- Theatre Program Presents ‘A Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play’
- UF’s College of Pharmacy Works to Raise Awareness During American Pharmacists Month
- That’s what Dreams are Made of: University of Findlay Alumna Stays Close to Home
- University of Findlay Digital Media Club to Host Mock Election, ‘Rock the Mock’ on Oct. 27
- UF’s College of Education Mourns the Loss of Faculty Member Dr. John “Skip” Cindric
- Mazza Museum Brings Back Tales for Tots & Funday Sunday with a Twist