On Sept. 8, pharmacy majors Colin Ecker and Craig Schutz will enter FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland not only as Browns fans but also as members of the newly formed Browns’ drumline, which will make its first appearance during the Browns vs. Miami Dolphins game that day.
Ecker, who plays bass drum, and Schutz, who plays snare drum, auditioned for spots on the drumline earlier this summer. The audition process included submitting an application, photo and audition video. Final, in-person auditions were held Saturday, Aug. 17, at First Energy Stadium.
Ecker nearly didn’t make the cut. “I actually got cut the first round,” he said. “Then, when one of the guys who did make the bass line couldn’t do it, the directors approached me right before I was getting ready to leave.”
Both drummers have participated in band during their years at Findlay. Schutz completed four years with UF’s Marching Oiler Brass. Ecker, who also is completing an MBA while at Findlay, is entering his sixth year with the UF Marching Oiler Brass and serves as its graduate assistant.
The Browns’ drumline will perform at each home game – entertaining fans in parking lots and tailgating before games, as well as inside the stadium during the games.
“Our biggest purpose is getting the crowd into the game,” said Schutz, a native of Eastlake.
Like Ecker, who is from Painesville, Schutz already was a big Browns fan, and although drumline members will receive some monetary compensation, that wasn’t the driving factor for either student.
“I’m a big Browns fan,” said Schutz. “I’d do it for free.”
Ecker echoed the same sentiment. “I’m definitely a Browns fan, born and raised.”
- New Partnership Between University of Findlay, Tiffin University and Ashland University Offers Reduced Graduate Tuition for Employees
- SGA Unmasks Headliner for Spring Music Festival
- Daniel Hill Speaks on How to Continue Martin Luther King Jr.'s Work at 2020 MLK Celebration
- Learning Here, Learning There: UF Alumna is in the Right Place
- University of Findlay awarded Choose Ohio First grant for computer science scholarships
- UF to Host “All That Jazz” for Annual Pops Concert