The University of Findlay is saddened by the passing of alumnus Richard E. “Dick” Wilkin.
Pastor Wilkin was a former administrator of the Churches of God, General Conference; a member of the University of Findlay’s Board of Trustees; and a longtime friend of the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences at the University of Findlay.
Wilkin graduated from Findlay College in 1952, was honored by the college in 1973 as a Distinguished Alumnus and with an Honorary Doctorate in Divinity in 1975; he was named a Distinguished Associate in 1992 in recognition of his achievements, leadership, and contributions.
He began his honorable service as a member of the University of Findlay Board of Trustees in 1985, and was granted the status of Trustee Emeritus in 2008.
Beginning in 2006, the University of Findlay College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences established The Richard E. Wilkin Chair, a faculty chair to honor individuals for distinguished service in their subject area, awarded annually to a faculty member in the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences who embodies excellence in scholarship, teaching and service.
In addition to his relationship with and honors received from Findlay College/University of Findlay, Wilkin served the Churches of God, General Conference as a pastor from 1951-1970. He was named an Honorary Alumnus of Winebrenner Theological Seminary in 1974 and was the director of the Institute for Bible Studies, Field Education and Assistant Professor in Christian Ministries for the Seminary from 1987-1992.
Wilkin loyally supported the University of Findlay through his commitment of time and resources, and served as an outstanding liaison with the Churches of God, providing invaluable input and advice as a result.
His official obituary and information on services can be found in The Courier.